Mary’s Genealogy Cave version 2.0
It’s spring housecleaning time again, and this year it included the re-organization of my genealogy/office/quilting/photography room. I spent the last two weeks working so diligently on this re-organization that I didn’t stop to make the usual posts on the family history page. I’m showing the before and after results for everyone out there to give you an idea of where I’m at with our genealogy, and why it was important to organize it.
Until three years ago, I somehow managed to do these hobbies without any dedicated space at all, but I worked out of a corner of one room or another with them. After our youngest daughter grew up and moved out of the house, we did a major renovation to our house and Voila! My Cave was created.
I began to file and organize the papers and pictures that had been packed up in boxes before this. I found documents and tidbits that I had either forgotten I had, or couldn’t find when I needed them. Here’s what things looked like before:
And here’s what they look like now:
I organized EVERYTHING – documents, papers, photographs, heirlooms – according to family branch, with color-coded files for each family following a Pedigree Chart (see below), which gave me the ability to use both Names and the pedigree Numbers for the filing system. The standard pedigree numbering system sorted out all the John & William Cockerill’s, James, Edward & Patrick Lynn’s, and Thomas Angus’s, which is well worthwhile by itself. Then, I created a guide to help others navigate it all. These now fill a large 4-drawer lateral file cabinet for my genealogy and a 4-drawer regular cabinet for Jason’s genealogy.
The pictures above shows how documents are arranged, and the picture below shows photograph arrangement.
The safe in the middle of these archive photo storage boxes has thumb drives and external hard drives of all the photos and information. Copies are also stored in a safe deposit box and on ‘cloud’ storage.
During the renovation of our house, we replaced the small window in what was being transformed from a spare bedroom into my workroom with a large window, so that I could enjoy the prairie and lake scenes outside the front of our house.
This panoramic picture shows the room I’ve been working from the last three years:
With an expansion needed to the genealogy, to my office space to keep track of our farm and business, to my newly-acquired photography hobby and to quilting, I purchased one more desk for the quilting and rearranged the room to look like this today:
And so ends my genealogy spring housecleaning, which gave me the extra shelf and drawer space I needed to continue.